Monday, January 12, 2009

From Epiphany to Ordinary


With the Feast of the Lord's Baptism we move from the Christmas-Epiphany liturgical cycle to the weeks of "ordinary time." These are so-called because they are ordered from week one to week 33. They are interrupted by the Lent-Easter cycle that begins with Ash Wednesday. In the Liturgy of the Hours, we begin week 1 today. (Baptism of the Lord is in the Advent-Christmas book.)
I am planning to teach on the sacred liturgy and liturgical music during these Sundays before Lent. During Lent, our "Tuesdays in Lent" series will be on basic Catholic Apologetics which I am going to teach. I get requests for this every now and then so I thought that this year it would be a good thing to do.
Someone sent me the very nice 3-d-like image of my coat of arms that I've added to this post. It shows a nice way to make a flat-2-dimensional rendering into something with more zip. I'm not sure who sent it to me, though, as I opened it here in my house, and the name doesn't ring a bell with others in my address book. An old friend or an anonymous admirer? We'll see.
Butch and Brice are resting this afternoon after spending yesterday evening and this morning visiting their friends. I wish Brice would get over all the chewing up of stuff. Butch out-grew it, I'm still waiting for little Brice.
It's in the 50's and cold, but quite sunny here in old El Dorado today. I've been invited to someone's home for dinner this evening. I need to start on my garden soon.

No comments: